Braiding is an ancient technique of dressing up the hair. It seems to have originated in ancient Africa but has been a popular styling technique all across the globe. From queens and princesses to pop divas and actresses, everyone loves to style their hair in fashionable braids. This is one styling technique that can never go out of fashion and looks good on almost everyone.
Braiding is an art in itself. The most popular type of braid is the three stranded braid which is also the simplest to make. Other types of braids are the four stranded braid, the five stranded braid, the twelve stranded braid and so on. The higher the number of strands the more difficult is the braid to do. But with regular practice, you can master the art of braiding and dress your tresses in no time.
Basket weave braid is a complex braid that can be created with the help of a friend. You will need a styling comb and scrunchie to create this unique braid. It looks great on medium to long hair that is absolutely straight.
Steps for making the Basket weave braid:
- Comb your hair to get rid of any tangles.
- Divide the hair into seven equal strands in such a manner that three strands lie on either side of the face and one strand lies in the centre at the back.
- Begin braiding at the right hand side. Cross the first strand that is closest to the face over the second strand. Then cross the third strand over the now second strand.
- Repeat the same steps on the left hand side.
- The first strand on either side now becomes the third strand.
- Take this strand on the right hand side over the central strand and under the third strand on the left hand side.
- Bring the first strand on the right hand side above the second strand under the central strand.
- In the similar fashion, bring the strands on the left hand side towards the central strand.
- Finally, clasp the braid with a scrunchie.
The usual time taken to make this type of braid is ten minutes. The difficulty level given to it is easy and with a little bit of practice you can master the art of making basket weave braids.